Tuesday, February 12, 2008

the word people - a different view

So a lot of times we say 'they' do this and 'they' do that and just leave it as some general thing, as if there's this body or group of people out somewhere making all these decisions about really insignificant stuff.

What I want to know is, does France have their own group, or are they a sub group of this group, or does this group make the French decisions.

Specifically, word gender.

Anyone who's taken any French (and I think Spanish and Italian) knows that the nouns have genders. Don't ask me why. But for some reason, the word 'the' can be 'le' for male nouns, and 'la' for female nouns (and 'les' for plural nouns).

What I want to know is - how is it decided when new words come out if they're going to be masculine or feminine.

I'm fairly certain, without looking it up which would take like 45 seconds, that the word blog is relatively new.

Is it 'le blog' or 'la blog' ?

And who picked it.

I wish I had power like that.

No comments: