Wednesday, February 6, 2008

New Weblog Entry

This was originally posted sometime in 2006 on Xanga. I find it extremely appropriate for my first blog here.

-

This is a new weblog entry.  The title is 'New Weblog
Entry'.

They've combined the words 'web' and 'blog'. They now
share a B. Unless one stole the B from the other one,
in which case it's either 'we blog' or 'web log'.
Both make sense in their own little way, but 'web log'
is much more accurate. Here's why.

While 'we blog' is a conditional accurate statement,
based on who 'we' refers to (and in this case, with
the nature of Xanga, where it is primarily other Xanga
authors who read journal entries/blogs, I would say
that 'we' could refer to them). In that sense,
everyone who sees an entry besides Greg could say 'we
blog' is accurate. Greg would have to say 'welurk' or
something like that.

However, the simple fact that the reader of this
weblog entry blogs does not define the weblog entry
accuarately. That's like saying 'weat' (we+eat) is
what a cheeseburger could be called. Not very
descriptive at all.

Web Log is a bit more accurate. This is of course you
are assuming the correct meaning of the term 'log',
and taking the meaning of a log as a descriptor of
events, i.e. journal, and not log as in a piece of cut
wood, and definitely not as a cylindrical shaped piece
of meat or cheese (beeflog or cheeselog). Speaking of
which, quick tangent.

Beeflog beeflog what a treat
A hefty chunk of processed meat
Dipped in mustard oh what joy
I'm a jolly beeflog boy
Hot and spicy, mild or plain
I even eat the cellophane
I might share some with my dog
Cuz we both love beeflogs, oh boy!
Brak I beg to disagree
Cheeselog is the log for me
As a meal or as a snack
It's my favorite saturated fat
Cheeselog cheeselog
Cylindrical and yellow
Cut the cheeselog
And I'm a happy fellow

As I was saying, the term log is more accurate of a
descriptor, especially 'web log', since we are on the
web, you and I.

However, the term blog is even MORE accurate. It's
like those multiple choice questions where there's
more than one right answer, BUT you have to choose the
BEST answer. Let's put the question to you - do you
consider Xanga a place to LOG or a place to BLOG.

Blog is a new term, and I think it is created FOR
places like Xanga. Well, perhaps reverse, that Xanga
is created FOR places like to blog. Or perhaps both,
and it is a symbiotic relationship, sort of like the
birds on the back of hippos.

However, that is not the debate. The debate is
whether blog or log is a more accurate term for this.
I would say that, when I think of 'log', I think of
captain's logs, on star dates, or ship's logs, on
ships in the ocean in the 1700's. While Xanga does
include a timestamp when you post an entry (log or
blog...still to be determined, but I think we know
where we're leaning at this point), I would say that
the nature of entries on Xanga are not of that nature.
Some people DO 'log' and just say what they do day
after day.

But others do not. I am others. So this is not a
log, but a blog. It is obvious that it is on the web.
So weblog is accurate. We blog is not. Web log is
better than we blog, but not as good as web blog.

So, in order:
1 Web blog
2 Web log
3 We blog

or, in another form

Web blog > web log > we blog

The following were not even considered, for obvious
reasons of extreme ridiculousness:

W eblog - what's an eblog? I suppose you could say
eblog is an electronic blog, sort of like email is
electronic mail, ecommerce is electronic commerce, and
so forth. But first of all, are there non-e blogs?
Aren't they diaries/journals? How do you share them?
How do people leave comments to acknowledge what
you've said is
funny/happy/sad/accurate/incorrect/boring? I suppose
you could pass your book around, but it would be very
difficult to read others comments, as only one or
perhaps two-three people could read/comment at once,
unless you maybe printed it out real big or used some
sort of magnification device like an overhead
projector
, but wouldn't that make it technically
electronic again, and thus an eblog again? Unless you
somehow used a candle and magnifying glass of some
sort for your makeshift projecter, but that would just
be archaic.

The whole point is moot anyway, because what on earth
would the W stand for?

Webl og - this just sounds like the name of an orc

Weblo g - Weblo is a rank in cub scouts, if I recall
correctly, after bears. G is often a gangster type
term. So a gangster boyscout is way off in describing
the web blog entry.

I would rank them like this:

1 Web blog
2 Web log
3 We blog
4 W eblog
5 (tie) Webl og
5 (tie) Weblo g

I realize that web blog combines letters, so in
theory, there are other options of combined words: w
eblog, we eblog, webl log, weblo og, and weblog g.
However, a quick glance leaves only we eblog as one
that could possibly pertain to anything, and eblog was
dismissed earlier.

No comments: